AP Computer Science A
Teaching the Computer
Scientists of Tomorrow ... Java!
Most Desired College Degrees
The following information was compiled from an article that appeared in the Jobs Section of the Sunday Courier-Journal Newspaper on October 9, 2011.
- Most Desired College Degrees are in three different areas: Business, Computer Science, and Engineering.
- Accounting - average yearly salary of $49,671.
- Finance - average yearly salary of $52,351
- Business Administration - average yearly salary of $44,825
- Computer Science - 56% of CS majors in the class of 2011 who have applied for a job have already received an offer with an average yearly salary of $63,402.
- Information Sciences and systems (software publishing firms, data processing and hosting companies, consulting services, and health care organizations) average yearly salary of $57,499.
- Computer Engineering (designing, constructing, or operating computer systems) average yearly salary of $64,499.
- Electrical Engineering (2nd Highest Degree in demand after a Masters in Business Administration) average yearly salary of $61,021
- Mechanical Engineering average yearly salary of $60,345
- Its important to have the right technical skills, but employers place great importance on these soft skills:
- Verbal Communication (how intelligently can you communicate with your peers and your boss)
- Strong Work Ethic (do you procrastinate or are you proactive about your work)
- Teamwork (can you work well and get along with others on joint projects)
- Analytical Skills (how well can you analyze correctly a problem that needs to be solved - if you can't analyze a problem then you can't solve it)
- Problem Solving Skills (how well can you develop an efficient and correct way to to solve a problem)
- Written Communication Skills (how fluently and exactly can you write information with correct English)
- Initiative (do you take the initiative to start on a task and be a leader in getting it done)
Back to Top